Proud History of the American School Foundation of Monterrey
The decision to create an American type education in Monterrey began at a meeting of parents at the Monterrey Foreign Club, on the night of June 28, 1928. The school opened on September 3, 1928, at 724 Hidalgo Street, with a Principal/teacher and two other teachers caring for the educational needs of 57 pupils ranging from primary to tenth grade. The school was organized under Mexican law as a private civil society and received its charter on October 13, 1928.
During the 1936-37 school year the location of the American School moved to an address on Bolivar (now Padre Mier) between Pino Suárez and Rayón. After June 1938, it moved again to the site of the Old Country Club in Obispado.
In April 1944, the school was reestablished under the name of The American School Foundation of Monterrey as a non-profit society, founded by four individuals. These individuals were joined some months later by one other person and thirteen companies, who then comprised the original Founders.
By the 1957-58 school year, enrollment had exceeded 450 students. A large-scale fund raising drive was launched that permitted the foundation to build and occupy the Rio Missouri campus in September 1958. Since then, many physical additions and renovations have taken place. Among these are P.E. locker rooms, gymnasium, tennis courts, computer labs, mini-gymnasium, over 35 new classrooms, library and media centers, teachers’ lounges, a theater, science laboratories, cafeteria, nursery building, relocated administrative offices and maintenance workshop.
In 1948, the school became an accredited member of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and the Texas Education Agency. Enrollment continued to grow. At present, the enrollment exceeds 2400 students.
The American School Foundation of Monterrey is proud of its Middle School/High School Campus, which has been in operation since the 1996-1997 school year. It offers our students a modern, high-tech state-of-the-art facility in the beautiful setting of the Huasteca Canyon. In August 2010, a spectacular new campus was inaugurated for students in Nursery through Grade Five on property adjacent to the Middle School/High School campus. With the combination of this facility and the 6-12 campus, ASFM students have one of the most outstanding educational facilities in the international school community.